If a chargeback occurs, we'll reach out to you via email to explain what happens next. You'll also receive a chargeback notification in the mail with some more instructions. There will be a due date listed on the notice - that's your deadline to respond to the chargeback and provide all relevant documentation.
Don't issue a refund to the customer when you receive a chargeback notification! The money will already have been pulled from your account automatically as part of the chargeback process.
Gather as many of the following documents as possible to state your case in a chargeback proceeding:
- A signed receipt, invoice, contract, rental agreement, or anything else that shows the customer paid for the item and acknowledges doing so
- Copies of disclosures, return policies, and other terms and conditions, along with proof they were shown or provided to the merchant before the transaction took place. This can include screenshots of your website if the product was purchased online.
- Evidence that the customer did not comply with a posted policy (if applicable). For instance, if a customer tried to return an item after your return period had expired, provide proof of this.
- Past purchases from this merchant, particularly for the same product or service
- Any communication you had with the customer regarding the transaction (emails, internal notes, etc.)
- A written statement explaining the situation and outlining why you believe the transaction is legitimate
- Proof that the services were rendered or goods were delivered
- Any attempts you made to rectify the situation before the chargeback was filed, such as offers to exchange, repair, or replace a faulty or damaged item
There are some additional steps some types of business can take to protect themselves further. Visit these links to read more:
- Retail businesses
- Ecommerce businesses
- MOTO (mail order/telephone order) businesses or businesses who primarily key in transactions
- Recurring billing/membership-based business
Above all, don't worry! We will be there to guide you every step of the way. You can always call us at 408-295-8360 if you have any questions.