Take a retrieval request as seriously as you would a chargeback, and take the time to gather the documentation you will need. The information you provide should be relevant to the reason code stated on the notice. Gather as much of the following as you can:
- A signed receipt, invoice, contract, rental agreement, or anything else that shows the customer paid for the item and acknowledges doing so
- Copies of disclosures, return policies, and other terms and conditions, along with proof they were shown or provided to the merchant before the transaction took place. This can include screenshots of your website if the product was purchased online.
- Evidence that the customer did not comply with a posted policy (if applicable). For instance, if a customer tried to return an item after your return period had expired, provide proof of this.
- Past purchases from this merchant, particularly for the same product or service
- Any communication you had with the customer regarding the transaction (emails, internal notes, etc.)
- A written statement explaining the situation and outlining why you believe the transaction is legitimate
- Proof that the services were rendered or goods were delivered
- Any attempts you made to rectify the situation before the chargeback was filed, such as offers to exchange, repair, or replace a faulty or damaged item
All information should be legible. Include a copy of the original notice and your case number, and note that you only get to make one response. If you forget to include any documents in your original submission, they will not be considered if you submit them later.
Make sure that receipts or invoices contain the following elements:
- Account or customer ID number
- Date of transaction
- Amount of transaction
- Your business name and location
- A description of the product or service
- The name on the card used and the transaction authorization code (may not be available)
- The shipping address (may not apply)
As with chargebacks, we will walk you through the process. Please don't hesitate to call us at 408-295-8360 if you receive a retrieval request.
Please sign in to leave a comment.