Receiving this error means you are processing transactions over a phone line instead of an Internet connection. If this doesn't sound right, give us a call right away at 408-295-8360.
1. Make sure that no one is using the phone line to which the terminal is connected. It is wise to have a dedicated phone line for each terminal.
2. Confirm that all your other phones are working (have a dial tone) and there have been no recent service interruptions (NOTE: Do not include VOIP phones in this check since they run off your Internet connection.)
3. If you use only VOIP phones at your business, see if there is a nearby phone with an Aux or Ext port to which you can connect the terminal. You will need an additional ethernet cord. Connect the terminal to the Ext port on the phone, choose Repair the Connection on your terminal, and confirm that it is successful. If so, we need to change a few of your settings. Call us at 408-295-8360.
4. Confirm that the phone is securely plugged into the correct port on the back of the terminal. The correct port usually has a picture of a phone on it and is located two ports over from the power port.
5. If you need to press 9 or any other digit on your business phones before placing outgoing calls, give us a call so we can update your settings
6. If the problem persists, determine the source of your phone signal.
- If the signal comes directly from the wall:
- Plug the terminal's phone line into a working phone and make sure you can hear a dial tone. If you cannot, contact your phone provider to tell them about the inactive line. In the meantime, connect your terminal to an active phone line so you can continue to process transactions.
- If the signal comes from a splitter:
- Plug the terminal directly into the wall, bypassing the splitter
- Run a test transaction
- If successful, the splitter is defective
- Through a fax, phone, or other device:
- Confirm that the fax machine, phone, or other device is working properly
- Connect the terminal directly to the wall and run a test transaction
- If successful, the aux jack or phone cord may be defective, or the signal may not be strong enough to process transactions through an auxiliary device. Call us at 408-295-8360.
- Directly into a modem/router:
- Confirm the power to the modem/router is connected
- Plug the terminal’s phone line into a working phone and confirm there is a dial tone
- If no dial tone, contact your phone provider to tell them about the inactive line. In the meantime, connect your terminal to an active phone line so you can continue to process transactions.
If you are a 360 Payments customer and still need help, give us a call at 408-295-8360.